(disclosure: this post may be triggering to some, but it is meant to inspire, so please read until the end. I’ve been there, and I know from personal experience that you CAN regain your power!)
I can only describe this as emotional death.
You grow tired due to simply trying to think straight.
Making a choice for yourself feels daunting, even if all you are attempting to choose is what flavor of ice cream you would like to have.
Creativity? What’s that? It all gets drained from your bones.
All sense of passion is wiped from what little mental capacity you have left.
Your emotions go unchecked and begin to run rampant; ie. crying for any and all reasons, frustration, anger, depression, anxiety.
And then comes the numbness.
At some point, you feel as though every speck of your power is drained, and you forget what it even felt like to have it.
But I promise you…this is the beginning of your rebirth. What comes next, if you let it and if you choose it, will be more profound than anything you have ever experienced. You will be stronger, wiser, and walk this beautiful earth with more balance than ever before.
It happens slowly, so don’t expect to just wake up one day and feel like a phoenix rising! Sure, you’ll have days when you’re powered up and ready to take on the world. But you’ll also have days where the weakened parts of you are louder than the fire. And that is OK. Honor all stages of your rebirth. Each phase will play a part in stepping into who your spirit has meant for you to be all along.
When you feel ready and inspired to step back into your power, the greatest piece of advice I can give you is this: practice SELF-LOVE daily. Whatever that means to you, do it and don’t let anyone convince you otherwise.
Self-love doesn’t look the same to everyone. But at its core meaning, it is the same. It is simply allowing yourself the space and time to do things that bring peace and calm to your soul. My favorite way to practice self-love is escaping out into Mother Nature. Even if it is something as little as taking a short morning walk around the neighborhood, breathing in the fresh morning air. That alone brings a sense of calm to my mind and heart.
Here are just a few examples of self-love that have helped me, but feel free to make them your own:
- Take a calming herbal bath.
- Meditation (if you’re new to this, start with just a few minutes in the morning, and then increase the time as you grow more comfortable).
- Take a walk outside. Whether you live amongst the trees or beside the waves, connect with Mother Nature. She’ll help 🙂
- Read a good book.
- Eat a plant-based meal, and be sure to charge it with intentional energy (you can do this by simply holding space in your heart/mind for gratitude. If it is something where you can use your hands to make it, think healing, loving thoughts while touching your food).
- Journal. As a writer, I am a bit biased towards this one (writing always helps clear my mind, and a clear mind is the gateway to an empowered spirit). Write down your thoughts, even if they feel negative, let it all out. Or perhaps write a loving mantra to yourself. Something as simple as “I am enough. I am whole. I am love.” Starting a sentence with the words “I am” is VERY empowering! Journaling is a safe space, so please be gentle with yourself, and release all judgement for what comes out. Your words matter, just as your emotions do. Infuse each and every word you write with love.
- Connect with loved ones. I truly believe that humans are social creatures. We need healthy human contact to thrive. Call up your best friend, or maybe there’s a family member that you feel close with. Reach out to the ones you love, and allow them to help lift you up. They want to see you shine!
These are just a few ideas for practicing self-love. I would LOVE to hear what your favorite self-love practices are in the comments below! And please, never believe that you are alone and incapable of taking your power back. You’re not alone and you ARE capable! It can be a slow journey, but it is worth it. Take it one day at a time, sometimes even one breath at a time. I am here for you, always.
Love and Magick,